Sunday, June 19, 2011

Family Sayings Sunday - Keep your powder dry

I figure that since today is Father's Day, I would post one of my dad's favorite sayings.

In the 70's a lot of people had CB (citizens band) radios. My father was no exception. He had them everywhere! In the house, his truck, my mom's car, my grandparent's house, my grandfather's car. He even had one on their boat!

He was a firm believer in being in contact with other people at any given moment, especially if you were ever in need of help. I just realized that if dad was still alive he probably would be Tweeting! Wow....well any way back to the saying.

Over all the years that dad had the CB radio he talked with a lot of people. Nothing made him happier than being on a road trip and talking to the 18 wheelers (semi-truck drivers) that were on the road with us. When they would sign off or he would be finished with the conversation he would always tell them to drive safe and "keep your powder dry."

I never really stopped and thought about what it meant until I started creating my list for this series. I thought I knew what it meant, but I wanted to double check, so I turned to my favorite friend, Google. According to the website The Phrase Finder it means, "Be prepared and save your resources until they are needed."

Pretty sound advise.

Hope you enjoyed, glad you stopped by and please come back again ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails