Thursday, September 2, 2010

Treasure Chest Thursday – Slemmons Album page 20

I’m back. Sorry for missing last week. I was in the middle of trying to setup my new laptop. Anyway, up until now I have been posting the Slemmons album pages in pairs. Of course all of the pages until now were only one picture per page. Well now we come to the part of the album where there will be multiple pictures per page. So rather than making the postings too large, I will start posting one page per week.


I will post the pictures that show the double pages so that it can been seen what the album looks like. So with out keeping you any longer, here is page 20 of my continuing saga.

Here is the combined page:
SANY0299

And then here is the page on the left, page 20:
SANY0300 The note on the left is another one of the cards that my cousin typed with the information that my aunt had given her. It states: “House before it was changed in 1931.” So what does that mean you ask? Well I’ll be more than happy to tell you, but I have to tell you this before I can tell you that.

James and Emily had this house built on property that she had inherited when her parents, Asher & Martha Slemmons, died in 1900. I’ve never been told if James and Emily designed the lay out of the house or not. But I have noticed some similarities between the front of this house and the front of the house that Emily grew up in. (A picture of her parents home will show up in a later posting from this album.) When my grandparents married in 1921, they moved in with his widowed mother, Emily Calhoun Slemmons Munday, into the house you see above.

Ok, now that you know that I will tell you what the card means. In 1931 my grandmother decided that she didn’t like the layout of the house anymore and she wanted to change it. So men where called in to take out the center hall way of the house. My aunt, who was about 9 years old at the time that this happened, said that they sawed completely through the house. Took out all of the wood that was the center hallway and pushed the house back together……..Did you get that? Sawed out the hallway and pushed the house back together!!!! I mean who does she think she is Mike Holmes or something? (FYI - I love his show "Holmes on Homes"!)

What in the world. Now mind you this is the house that she is living in as, what I would think of as a guest, because Emily is still alive and living with them. I would have to say, "back the bus up sister you ARE NOT cutting MY house apart."

Of course the other part of me is also bemoaning all of the room that was lost in this “remodel”. Why didn’t she just make the rooms bigger, good grief. Anyway, that is what the card means.

Oh I almost forgot, you probably want to know who the people are in the picture. Well from left to right they are: James William Munday, Emily Calhoun Slemmons Munday, Earl Franklin Munday, Milton Glover (the little one on the crate), Lillie Neal Munday Glover (Milton’s mother), Hermon O Munday and Fannie Belle Munday. As the picture shows it was taken in 1912.

Hope you enjoyed, glad you stopped by and please come back again ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails