Monday, September 6, 2010

Epiphany while entering family data!

Ok, so I’m entering my family research into a new program, again. Some day I’ll have to tell the twists and turns my databases have taken over the years. But I don’t look at this as a bad thing, after all it gives me an opportunity to finally source some of my earliest research that I did. You know the stuff that I just added to my files without stating from where it had come….”Oh I’ll remember where this death date came from!”

Anyway, back to my epiphany. It happened while I was entering family information on my Crenshaw family that settled in Barren County, Kentucky. I was looking over a bible record showing the children of Thompson Crenshaw and his wife, Martha Waggoner and whom they married. I started comparing that information with the information that is in a different bible record showing the children of Richard T Franklin and Mary Ann Thompson and whom they married.

It was then that I realized out of 8 children born to Thompson & Martha, 4 of them married children of Richard & Mary! Wait a minute. I mean is that some kind of record or something?

John, son of Thompson & Martha, never married so that’s 57% of Thompson & Martha’s children that married children of Richard & Mary. When I was telling my husband about this he made the comment, “Well the only reason John didn’t get married is because Richard and Mary ran out of daughters!” HA!HA!HA!

What makes it even more astonishing to me is that these two families did not live in the same county or even counties that were side by side. From my research I find that Richard & Mary lived in Sumner County, (present day Trousdale County), Tennessee and Thompson & Martha lived in Barren County, Kentucky. For those that are curious: Richard & Mary had a total 9 children, 4 married into the Crenshaw family, 2 married Slemmons siblings, 2 married outside families (rebels of the family apparently ;) ) and 1 did not marry at all.

Does anyone else find this highly unusual or is it just me? Also does anyone else have or heard of this type of multiple intermarriage?

Ok, well that's all for me. I’ll let you know if I have anymore earth moving moments. Enjoy your holiday!

Hope you enjoyed, glad you stopped by and please come back again ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails