Thursday, July 29, 2010

Treasure Chest Thursday - Asher Slemmons & Martha Franklin

Extra! Extra! See your extra bonus!

Today you get an extra bonus. Again my aunt has sooooo many pictures that I thought I would double up on the postings.

Here is a picture that is GREAT! From the definition found on the Daguerrotype FAQ page of the Dagurreian Society website I believe it to be an ambrotype photograph. The pictures are of Asher Slemmons and Martha Susan Franklin.

Here is the outside of the case:
And what it looks like opened up:

Here is a close-up of the left side:
This is Asher Slemmons, my great-great grandfather and he looks pretty young here. He was born 22 Mar 1821 in Barren County, Kentucky.

A close-up of the right side:
This is Martha Susan Franklin, my great-great grandmother, and like Asher she looks very young here. Martha was born 26 Aug 1824 in Sumner County, Tennessee, the daughter of Richard T Franklin and Mary Thompson.

Hope you enjoyed, glad you stopped by and please come back again ;)

4 comments:

  1. I love all your photos, you are so lucky to have them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Barbara. I do feel very lucky to have access to all of these pictures. It's really weird how I have so many on my mom's one side but no so many on her other sides. If I had my druthers I really would like to have a couple of pictures on ALL of my lines and not so many on one family and none on the other lines. But don't look a gift horse in the mouth I always say.

    Again thanks for the comment I love to read what everybody thinks about the postings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deb,

    I finally "found" your blog.

    I have a set ofp ictures just like these in their "Union Case." They are ambrotypes as you indicated. Mine are of Isaac and Lucretia (Smith) Seaver, my 2nd great-grandparents, and it is dated in the early 1860s. Apparently, many couples had these taken before the husband went off to the Civil War. Was Asher a Civil War veteran?

    Mine was discovered in the effects of my father's youngest sister - the keeper of the Seaver family goodies! I asked for, and received the boxes of papers and photos and stuff. Of course I had to take the coffee table that I was bequeathed too - cost me $500 to ship it from Maine to San Diego! Alas, it had no hidden nooks or crannies - I checked!

    Cheers -- Randy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome Randy,

    Glad that you finally found "the place." Thanks for letting me know that my guess was right. I was getting kind of confused by the different descriptions that I had found online.

    I have often found it very interesting that Asher was of the age to have served but didn't. I've never heard any reason given for why he didn't. I have heard the story that when the fighting was getting close, he buried some gold in the back yard. Of course, nobody has EVER seen a dime of that. LOL

    Anyway, again welcome to my humble blog. Take your time in looking around and I hope you come back again. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails