Thursday, April 29, 2010

Treasure Chest Thursday - My great-grandmother through the years

I am lucky to have pictures of my great-grandmother, Emily Calhoun Slemmons Munday, from the time she was 6 years old to just about the time she died in 1936.


Here she is in 1865 at the age of 6. Her and her family were living on their farm in Wisdom, Metcalfe County, Kentucky. This is a copy made from the original that my aunt owns. This picture always strikes me with the feeling that she really didn't want to have her picture taken.


  
 
The next picture that I have is her at the age of 22 in the year 1881. Her and James William Munday were married on 5 Oct 1881 in Randolph, Metcalfe County, Kentucky. I don't remember being told, and it's not written on the back, if this was a wedding picture or at the time of their wedding. I have always loved looking at this picture because I can only imagine how long it took her to get her hair to look like this.

This picture is of Emily and James and their family, my grandfather, Richard Slemmons Munday is the 3rd from the left in the back row with the cane. My copy of the picture is not dated, but I know that all of their children are shown here and their son Willie died in 1913, so I would guess that it was before then.


This last picture is of Emily at the age of 59 in the year 1918. One of the questions that always pops into my mind whenever I see pictures of any of my ancestors is, "What caused them to take this picture?" I mean was it an anniversary, special visit from family, a birthday? Or did they just think, "I haven't had a picture done for a while, let's go get one done.



Hope you enjoyed, glad you stopped by and please come back again ;)

4 comments:

  1. What a great post! I always love to look at photos of people as they change from child to youth to age. In the 1865 photo I almost wonder if she wasn't sure what was going to happen to her when the photo was taken. To me she looks just a little apprehensive. I wonder if she remembered how she felt when the photo was being taken. Would be interesting to know....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy, I have often wondered about the 1865 picture myself. She just doesn't look like she's too sure about what's going on. Or maybe she didn't like having to stop playing in order to have her picture taken. I would have loved to been able to ask her that and many more questions. Now where did I put my time-machine....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily is one of those people who you would recognize all through life. Her features are the same as a child and adult.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails